Twenty years ago I became interested in the Pagan and neo-Pagan
revival that has spread throughout North America and Europe.
This interest started as purely a intellectual exercise: in my opinion
(then, as now), the existance of a flourishing Earth-centric,
Earth-revering religion here in the 20th century is an interesting
subject, worthy of study by anyone interested in the history of
religion. I read a great deal about the current Pagan / neo-Pagan
revival, from books, magazines, FidoNet echo conferences, and Internet
Newsgroups. I also attended local Pagan festivals, to observe
Pagans and neo-Pagans first-hand.
Some of the material I read was critical of Paganism and the
neo-Pagan revival. The vast majority of this criticism was, and is,
written by Fundamentalist Christians, who, I came to discover,
had (and have) very little actual knowledge of Paganism and
neo-Paganism. Most incorrectly link Paganism and neo-Paganism
to "Satanism." I read a great many books and articles written
by Fundamentalist Christians who castigated Paganism as "Satanic:"
material written by:
and many others. Some of these authors claim to be "ex-Satanists"
who, in their "Satanic past," performed every imaginable illegal,
unethical, and immoral act a human being can perform. Murder,
bank robbery, rape, mutilation, extortion--- all crimes that they
could be put away behind prison bars for life, yet some of the
authors claim they performed them! And they were out, walking
around, unharassed by the nation's Law Enforcement. How very odd.
Of course I learned that such books are complete fictions, and that
the authors who wrote of commiting such crimes, when pressed to
present evidence or name names, manufacture every imaginable excuse
to refuse to produce such evidence.
How many Satanists are there? Here is one estimate.
- False Memory Board wants licenses from 2 psychologists
- Article 01 SCAPEGOAT: Satanism scare is mostly hype, expert on cults says.
- Article 02 Allegations of Satanism at Mormons.
- Article 03 Satanist survivors.
- Article 04 Tim Maroney said it pretty well.
- Article 05 The Satanism scare. From The Humanist Magazine.
- Article 06 Giving the Devil More than His Due.
- Article 07 False Memories, Broken Families, Child Sacrifice and the New Satanic Panic.
- Article 08 False memory can lead to baseless accusations, mass hysteria.
- Article 09 Satanism: The Feared Religion.
- Article 10 Satanic Conspiracy Myth.
- Article 11 Pitchmen of the Satan Scare.
- Article 12 Woman wins $10 million in "cult" case.
- Article 13 Devil Stars in Bakersfield Sex Abuse Drama.
- Article 14 Experts Disagree on Ritual Abuse as Described by Young Children.
- Article 15 Rivera's 'Devil Worship' was TV at Its Worst.
- Article 16 Winfrey guest accuses Jews of ritual child sacrifices.
- Article 17 How Lawyers and Media Turned the McMartin Case into a Tragic Media Circus.
- Article 18 The Devil You Say.
- Article 19 Victims of Memory.
- Article 20 America's magic cult of ignorance.
- Article 21 Can memory be a devilish inventor?.
- Article 22 Backlash builds over abuse claims the public is no longer buying ritual cas.
- Article 23 Tales of Satanic Abuse Can't be Corroborated.
- Article 24 The devil made me do it.
- Article 25 Ritual Abuse Taskforce Alleges Poisoning.
- Article 26 Satan in Kansas.
- Article 27 Satanic evidence is lacking.
- Article 28 Innocence Lost in Landmark Child Abuse Case.
- Article 29 Book Review: In Pursuit of Satan: The Police and the Occult.
- Article 30 Satanism: skeptics abound.
- Article 31 Rock groups hardly Satanistic.
- Article 32 A Scottish court has ruled the return of children.
- Article 33 The "Satanic scare" of the 1980s.
- Article 34 Satanism for Christians and others.
- Article 35 Satanism goes to the devil in a new hour-long cable expose of Lucifer-lovin churches.
- Article 36 Care workers led children to invent sex allegations.
- Article 37 Sorcerer's furniture shop a satanic temple, jury told.
- Article 38 Lauren Stratford's Satan's Underground.
- Article 39 State worker reassigned after "satanic cult" story.
- Article 40 Four Exonerated in 'Sex Case' Now Suing
to Shy David's Scientology Page.
to Shy David's Home Page.